[linux-audio-user] Ubuntustudio + ACPI + Jack issues

From: Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 06 2006 - 21:22:52 EET

Hi all,

I've just installed Ubuntustudio. It all works great, except after a few
minutes I get lots of these message from jack:
"delay of 27893.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 21274.000;
restart ..." (where the number of usecs are varying).

After lots of fiddling and googling I discovered that acpi is probably
causing it, and it consequently happens only when acpi is enabled. When
acpi is disabled I can push latency down to 2.67 msecs without xrunning
nomatter how hard I try....so this is good ;)

I've done these tweakings with Breezy, and it happens with all of them:
http://ubuntustudio.com/wiki/index.php/Breezy:Vanilla_Kernel_With_Realtime_Preemption
http://ubuntustudio.com/wiki/index.php/Breezy:Rlimits-Aware_PAM
http://ubuntustudio.com/wiki/index.php/Breezy:Enabling_Preemption

It also happened the same way in out-of-the-box Dapper. I'm now on
Breezy with the vanilla kernel with preempt patch.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8600:
http://www.koeniglich.de/dell_8600.html

I use Alsa intel8x0 driver, and had no other problems. Jack also worked
fine with acpi on other distros like PCLinuxOS, even with the non-mm kernel.

I have no idea what to do next, if anyone could give me a clue it'd be
appreciated.

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.1go.dk/