Re: [linux-audio-user] Programming a Yamaha DX 7

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 12 2006 - 15:26:59 EET

Markus Herhoffer wrote:

>I friend of me has an original Yamaha DX 7 Synth. The board sounds
>really great but it is extremely difficult to program. There were some
>commercial programs for Atari to program the synth with a GUI in the
>late 80ies, but they dont't run on x86. Is there any free software for
>Linux available?

JSynthLib includes a DX/TX editor:

    http://www.jsynthlib.org/

Or you can try running some of that Atari software on Xsteem:

    http://steem.atari.st/

See this link for the freeware Atari MIDI stuff:

    http://tamw.atari-users.net/timidi.htm

In my experience Xsteem does a pretty good job with MIDI apps. Your
mileage may vary. Personally I prefer JSynthLib, it's a fine utility,
works very well with my TX802 and my K4r.

HTH.

Best,

dp