Re: [linux-audio-user] CCRMA and yum

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 15 2006 - 22:54:13 EET

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 11:55 -0800, thewade wrote:
> Quoting Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>:
>
> > On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 19:39 -0800, thewade wrote:
> >> I am encountering some problems though. Probably descrepancies between
> >> the livna repository and the ccrma repository. Can you tell me if I am
> >> correct?
> >>
> >> yum -y update
> >> [lots of messages here...]
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: libavcodec.so.51 is needed by package xine-lib
> >> Error: Missing Dependency: faad2 = 0:2.0-0.lvn.5.4 is needed by package
> >> xmms-faad2
> >>
> >> And it ends there. Just to see if it was missing some file I built from
> >> source I ran:
> >> rpm -qa | grep faad
> >> xmms-faad2-2.0-0.lvn.5.4
> >> faad2-2.0-0.lvn.5.4
> >> rpm -qla | grep libavcodec
> >> /usr/lib/libavcodec-CVS.so
> >> /usr/lib/libavcodec.so
> >> /usr/lib/libavcodec.so.51
> >>
> > It looks like the version of ffmpeg in livna and the one in Planet CCRMA
> > are not compatible. I have:
> > ffmpeg-0.4.9-0.1.20050427
> > Packages in Planet CCRMA that seem to be affected would be:
> > ffmpeg2theora, kino, mjpegtools
> > (I think)
> > Do you have any of those installed?
> > I wonder what is triggering the problem in yum...
> >
> > I don't know much about yum but it must be possible to tell it to ignore
> > updates to packages, or to establish priorities between repositories.
> > You could do something like that with ffmpeg so that yum does not try to
> > upgrade to the Planet CCRMA version.
> >

> I do have some of thoes packages installed:
> rpm -q mjpegtools ffmpeg kino ffmpeg2theora
> mjpegtools-1.8.0-0.lvn.1.4
> ffmpeg-0.4.9-0.lvn.0.20.20051228.4
> kino-0.7.6-0.lvn.3.4
> package ffmpeg2theora is not installed
>
> I tried to upgrade just these packages but it comes back to
> libavcodec.so.51 for xine-lib
> rpm -q xine-lib
> xine-lib-1.1.1-0.lvn.3.4
>
> What version of xine-lib is in ccrma?

Planet CCRMA does not have it.

> Or perhaps your repository has a newer ffmpeg then livna, and the solution
> is for livna to update their xine-lib with the new ffmpeg?

Nope, according to your package list livna's version of ffmpeg is newer
than Planet CCRMA's.

> The guy that runs livna is pritty nice
> and perhaps he would do that, if that is the problem...
> I still do not understand where the breakdown is happening though. Your
> version of libavcodec (from ffmpeg) is newer then the livna libavcodec,
> and so xine-lib should be happy, right?

No, I don't think livna's is older. Xine-lib wants a specific version of
libavcodec, and it is not compatible with the one in Planet CCRMA.

I still don't understand completely. Do you have xine-lib installed
already? Or is that what is triggering the problem when you try to
install it? What happens if you erase the Planet CCRMA yum configuration
and then install xine-lib (or whatever it is you want to install)?

We don't know if the package dependencies are clean in your rpm
database, I think. Yum can work (AFAIK) with an rpm database where
dependencies are not clean, apt can't. I don't know if there is a way in
yum to check dependencies (to make sure all are currently satisfied).

-- Fernando