Re: [linux-audio-user] More music

From: Laura Conrad <lconrad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 16:44:16 EET

    DP> Btw, is LilyPond not the shiznitz ?! I'm just amazed at the results
    DP> I'm getting.

Lilypond is indeed wonderful, and whenever I look at the output of
anything else, I can't imagine switching. However, I really wish
someone could encourage them to get a development model that's a
little friendlier to large projects.

The problem is that the current resources don't get the features
tested in a current release cycle, so a lot of things that worked on
the last release are always broken on this release. In addition, they
keep fiddling with the input syntax, so you can't count on being able
to use the new features of this release on the files you coded on the
last release.

So if what you do is typeset a piece on a rainy afternoon and never
touch it again, lilypond is wonderful. (This is how the chief
developer uses it.) If you're trying to typeset the complete works of
John Dowland over the course of a decade, it can be very frustrating.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@email-addr-hidden , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011