Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] Guitar amp

From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 18 2006 - 08:43:04 EET

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 21:41 -0800, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>
>> Recently though, I picked up a Peavey Delta Blues with a single 15"
>> speaker. For some reason they dont command a lot of money but have a
>> nice "not unlike Fender" tone. I got mine for $300.00 and love the
>> thing! They are on Ebay and Craigslist for this kind of money
>> frequently. They have EL84's in back and 12ax7's for preamp. And there
>> is the Fender Hotrod...all tube also....and you can find them for $350
>> -
>> $450 on EB & CL.
>>

> Thanks, this is what I was looking for, I'll check these out. It can be
> tough to find a tube amp that sounds good at low volume, and I'm OK with
> solid state amps too.
>

>> Much like anything else in music, personal taste is very subjective.
>> My
>> style and musical taste ranges from Tele and Strat inherent styles
>> (Country Rock, some jazz, pop & Rock) and I would use any of the
>> above
>> mentioned amps for what I do.
>>

> Yup, same here, I play a ~1998 custom shop Strat that I think is
> supposed to be a copy of a '72 Strat. But, I also like to be able to
> get a nice metal sound sometimes...
>
> Lee

I have a '78 Strat with a set of Noiseless in it. It sounds warm thru
this amp. The pre amp overdrive is actually quite nice in this amp
too...but the EMG's in my custom Nashville Tele drive it much better.
Nice useful overdrive without too much mush on the harmonics but the HSH
configured EMG's help that along immensely.

I've been buying a ton of gear lately and if I run across one at a
reasonable price, I'll let you know. Keep me posted if you buy something
else. I hit the Pawn shops in Reno regularly (where I got this one) and
theres lots of good gear shows on the SF Craiglist site but you have to
jump on the good deals obviously.

I'm selling my Mesa Boogie MkII C+ but it's not a mellow amp. It is all
original and in great shape but Older boogies tend to be unwieldy in the
tone they produce. This one is like fingernails down a blackboard
compared to the other 2 amps.

R~