Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: System upgrade recommendations

From: Dana Olson <dana@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 19 2006 - 12:54:10 EET

On 2/19/06, Carlo Capocasa <capocasa@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > I am still new to the Linux software out there, but I like the thought
> > of softsynths. Currently I use just hardware stuff recorded into
>
> ZynAddSubFX is absolutely amazing... You better bring a bush knife to
> get through its interface but the sounds are crisp and clear incredibly
> rich.

I used it on one of my tracks (the only software-only track I have
done so far). I like it, but it doesn't seem very RT-friendly... I get
a lot of Xruns, whenever I click in the interface. And I'm not the
only one.

> amSynth is pretty nice too.

I haven't tried it yet. Been busy packaging stuff for Ubuntu Dapper.

> With a 2GHz processor I can get around six voices simultaneously... It
> should be possible to do the mixing on the fly for simpler projects,
> saving a lot of disk space.
>
> > Audacity, but I'd like to move towards software-only (well, plus MIDI
> > guitars and live guitars and MIDI drums).
>
> When midingsolo gets there it should be possible to use any guitar as a
> MIDI guitar.

Hmm, never heard of this... I have a Roland GK-2A pickup on one of my
Jackson guitars, and that plugs into a Roland GI-10, which I can then
plug into my PC or my Yamaha RM1x or anything with a MIDI input. It's
fun and strange to play trumpets and timpanis on a fretboard...

:)