Re: [linux-audio-user] Obituary for Pete Bessman

From: Pete Bessman <ninjadroid@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 19 2006 - 20:59:46 EET

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 18:37 +0100, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:23:00 -0500
> Pete Bessman <ninjadroid@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 17:25 +0100, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> > > Hi, i dig both tracks. How do you process your guitar?
> >
> > Hope you dig the final draft even more. Which leads me to this: I'm not
> > really putting any thought into my guitar tone right now since this is
> > all rough draft stuff. All I've got is a Sure SM57 right up against the
> > grill of my Peavy Triple XXX half stack (running 6L6GC JJs). My mic
> > preamp is a presonus TubePre, and I've got a Comp16 for compression, but
> > I haven't really tweaked the settings so I doubt it's adding any useful
> > color to the tone.
>
> Well, in any case, it's a sweet crunchy rocking tone :) The reason why i
> ask about the guitar sound is that it sounds big! Especially to my ears
> it sounds as if it were somehow stereo expanded or something. But from
> your words i reckon it's just a simple mono track panned dead center?

Oh no, I mislead you. Rock guitar production rule number 1: thou shalt
record two takes of every track, and thou shalt pannest the first take
as far left as thy technology will permit, and in similar fashion, thou
shalt pannest the second take to the limit of the right.

--
Pete Bessman
http://gazuga.net