Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: favorite window Manager for making music?

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 02:58:49 EET

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 17:12 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 14:03 -0800, thewade wrote:
> > Quoting Carlo Capocasa <capocasa@email-addr-hidden>:
> >
> > > XFCE, the shining star among all linux desktops, with audio menu open.
> > >
> > > http://xthost.info/capocasa/xfce4audio.png
> > >
> > > Carlo
> > >

> > How does this do for processing overhead?
>
> The "processing overhead" of one desktop environment vs. another is
> negligible on a modern system. On a correctly set up system with
> properly written RT apps the desktop won't be able to interfere with the
> RT stuff anyway.

    This may be true as far as CPU use is concerned but how about I/O?
If your desktop or background processes start doing I/O and you need the
disk I believe that may cause you some problems. I/O requests will swap
you out of the CPU but at the lowest level can you interrupt an I/O
process that is going to disk?

    I do know from experience that I have far fewer xruns running
fluxbox than I do with KDE. I have done recording using both and if I'm
doing fairly heavy disk I/O (say recording 8-10 tracks) I don't have as
many problems with fluxbox.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice