Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] Guitar amp

From: Brett W. McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 22:45:53 EET

Jan Depner wrote:

>>To be honest, I think the PODxt sounds much better than the V-Amp... I
>>use a PODxt Live (through a Mesa/Boogie 50/50 power amp and a 2x12
>>cabinet), and my rhythm guitarist plays the V-Amp... and maybe it's due
>>to his native guitar tone also, but the V-Amp sounds rather plasticy to
>>my ears. It sounds a bit better going into a 4x12 cabinet (a huge
>>improvement over the single 1x12), but it still doesn't sound as clean
>>as the PODxt.
>>

> Uh, you don't think the Mesa Boogie has anything to do with the
> sound???

To some degree, perhaps. I am using the PODxt as a pre-amp, though, so
most of the tone is coming is from that.

We are going to experiment with using the V-Amp just as a pre-amp and
going into a Marshall head for the power section (bypassing the Marshall
pre-amp) and into a 4x12... that should give it some more umph.:-)

    Seriously though, I have a V-Amp Pro and I have friends who
> use the POD XT. I don't here all that big a difference when they're
> played through the same gear. Even if there was a large difference is
> it worth the $530 difference in price?

The difference between what I paid for the PODxt Live and what he paid
for the V-Amp was about $100. At any rate, though, he got an entire amp
plus a big foot pedal with two built-in expression pedals... so overall,
he got more for the money, I think.

I should have indicated the recordings I have done direct (no
amplifiers) with the two sound different, the V-Amp stuff sounds thinner
and more plastic-y, to my ears.

--
Brett McCoy: Programmer by Day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.alhazred.com