Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: favorite window Manager for making music?

From: thewade <pdman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 23:57:16 EET

Quoting Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>:

> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 08:24 -0800, thewade wrote:
>> Quoting Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladt@email-addr-hidden>:
>> >
>> > If you're trying to get the lowest latency posible it's dumb having a
>> > desktop system that eats half your resources.
>> >

>> I think what Lee is saying is that with realtime-lsm (and ingo's
>> spin-locking?), jackd, your audio apps, and limits.conf all set up
>> right all processes bow to your audio apps. So audio will still get the
>> lowest latency possible independant of other threads running on your
>> machine, including the window manager. The screen may not refresh as
>> frequently or be as responsive, but you should incur no addidional
>> XRUNS from using one window manager over another.
>> Am I right?
>>

> This is all well and good but you're only talking about CPU. Disk
> I/O is another story entirely. If your WM starts doing some I/O that
> you weren't aware of you may get an xrun because you couldn't access the
> disk in time. This is the reason that I kill syslogd before I record.
> Granted, generally speaking you'll do OK due to the priority of your
> process but disk I/O takes a certain amount of time and you can't
> interrupt it once it's gone to the disk.

I think you can tweak the disk write interupt length so that disk write
sizes are smaller and more frequent, which would effectively solve this
problem.
I think you can do this in /etc/sysconfig/harddisks in Fedora.
Syslogd can be usefull...

There is a hard drive realtime audio howto somewhere on the net: I
remember reading it somewhere... I think Takashi Iwa (I hope I spelled
his name right) wrote something about it when he wrote that latency
motior kernel module tool thingy.

My problems are usually when I have a lot of processing going on and I
switch windows or make a new window or drag windows or something. But I
don't think I have everything set up correctly yet either... Working on
it.

-thewade