Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 03:42:26 EET

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 16:14 -0500, Rob wrote:
> On Tue February 21 2006 15:08, Peter Bessman wrote:
> > The fact that it's illegal to sell your vote does not prove
> > that contracts can be morally wrong.
>
> Not that the 'shrink-wrap licenses' to which Fons was referring
> are even accepted as contracts in many venues. I certainly
> never had a contract with, say, Syntrillian in the bad old days
> when I would download a pirated copy of Cool Edit Pro; the text
> of whatever EULA they used was never even included with the
> illicit version. The GPL itself is also not a contract; it's a
> license without which you can't distribute the program except by
> violating copyright.
>
> The respect argument is specious as well; I certainly don't
> respect Wal-Mart when I'm buying a new toothbrush or whatever.
> (And since I've paid for it, I'm perfectly within my rights to
> share that toothbrush with anyone, though I'd probably rather
> not.)
>
> So we're back to copyright violation, not breach of contract.
> And I stand by my original statement. I kinda like copyright
> now that there's enough software covered under the GPL to make
> it inconvenient for the people who fought so hard to extend
> copyright to cover computer software in the first place.

    Uh, copyright *always* covered computer software just as it always
covered math textbooks. I believe what you are thinking of is software
patents.

> Nonetheless, those who have attempted to use copyright to turn
> imaginary property (based on infinite reproducibility) into real
> property (based on scarcity) are wrong, no matter how much it
> might benefit them to do so. One million copies of notepad.exe
> have the exact same value in the real world as a single copy,
> regardless of how much sweat some peon in Redmond shed during
> its initial development. And that goes for emacs, Finder, Doom
> 3, Donkey Kong, In A Silent Way, Oliver Twist, Citizen Kane and
> the Mona Lisa too.

    Again, I must point out that if that is so then one million copies
of your latest song, poem, novel, picture have the same value in the
real world as a single copy. Unless, of course, you believe that
writing software is not a creative process.

> I don't want to hear the "but no one can make any money unless we
> treat copies like physical objects" line anymore either. If I
> went into business selling a new kind of wrenches, with a
> shrink-wrap agreement on the outside requiring that they were
> only to be used by the purchaser, and then went broke because
> people started sharing their wrenches left and right despite my
> legal threats, I would deserve to be broke for pursuing such an
> unrealistic business plan. See also: CueCat.

    As you've so correctly pointed out before, wrenches are not
software. The value of one million wrenches is not equal to the value
of a single wrench. If you want to compare apples to apples instead of
apples to colostomy bags how about explaining how software is different
from your latest song, novel, poem, picture.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice