Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: favorite window Manager for making music?

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 04:14:49 EET

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 20:00 -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 20:49 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:

> > > While I agree that it's very good it's not hard real-time. It can't
> > > do guaranteed 15 microsecond interrupt response. It is a very good soft
> > > real-time system.
> > >

> > Hard RT is not about what the response time is, it's about whether you
> > can guarantee to make some arbitrary deadline, which the -rt patch can
> > theoretically do (I say theoretically because you still would have to
> > audit a limited set of code paths for RT safeness).
> >

> I beg to differ. Hard real-time guarantees the response time. Most
> good hard real-time systems actually do respond in the 10-15 microsecond
> range (though that is not a requirement of hard real-time). Theory has
> no place in hard real-time. Check with Monta Vista and see if they
> think the kernel with RT patches is hard real-time.

Well, of course, Monta Vista is selling their own RT kernel!

What I mean is that the difference between a hard RT system and a soft
RT system is not between a guaranteed 15us response and a guaranteed
15ms response, it's between the ability to guarantee ANY response time
and only being able to meet the deadline 99.9999999% of the time.

Lee