Re: [linux-audio-user] (no subject)

From: Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 13:52:01 EET

Quoting Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladt@email-addr-hidden>:

> I run the command below and it works, it plays the wave file:
>
> $ aplay -D default shared/testing.wav
> Playing WAVE 'shared/testing.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate
> 11025 Hz, Mono
>
> However the command below fails:
>
> $ aplay -D hw:0,0 shared/testing.wav
> Playing WAVE 'shared/testing.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate
> 11025 Hz, Mono
> aplay: set_params:901: Channels count non available
>
> I thought it was posible to select audio channels this way using
> aplay. No .asoundrc here. Any ideas?

your system probably has a global /etc/asound.conf which maps default to a
plughw device of some sort. That way alsa converts the mono 11025hz signal
to something your soundcard is capable of playing.

With hw:x,y you can select the hardware (hw) device (x) and subdevice (y).

It depends on your configuration which number each device has, and it
depends on your hardware what subdevices each device has. Subdevices are
_not_ channels.

 Sampo