Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Free Software vs. Open Source:Where do*you* stand?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 17:09:42 EET

On 2/21/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 06:40 +0100, Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> > Ok, let's try to take the problem from another direction.
> >
> > What do you think is the reason some talented coders and some
> > influential thinkers are putting a lot of efforts into writing and
> > maintaining open source software if it is not the belief that sharing
> > knowledge, solutions, tools and such is the way to go?
> >
> > Why Paul Davis started writing Jack and Ardour instead of writing
> > another commercial DAW and then try to sell it to a publisher?
>
> Because they choose to do so. It is equally legitimate to choose to
> develop proprietary software. I happen to believe that in the long run
> open source will prevail over proprietary solutions on its technical
> merits.

In my optimistic moments I completely agree with you....

In my pessimistic moments I think of what happened with LinuxSampler.
When just a couple of people can change, or attempt to change, the
licensing model for a piece of software I realize how fragile the Open
Source model is. Add to that developers who choose to come and go for
different reasons and it's mostly a disaster waiting to happen...

In my thankful moments I think of the teams doing to biggest project
and the individuals doing smaller projects and am amazed at all the
great stuff people do...

In my pragmatic moments I just use Linux, Windows and Macs to make me
happy and don't worry too much about any of the above... ;-)

Cheers,
Mark