Re: [linux-audio-user] recording guitar - level problems

From: Dana Olson <dana@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 08:24:52 EET

On 2/22/06, Ken Schutte <kschutte@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've setup a new FC4 system with alsa, jack, etc, and a SB Live card.
> I'm trying to play some guitar thru the line in (eventually into
> sooperlooper, maybe audor, etc). No matter what I've tried, if I try to
> get any significant volume, it's distorted terribly (not to mention some
> terrible humming - something else I have to look into yet...)
>
> Are there any simple guidelines for getting a nice clean guitar sound?
> Could any one point me in the right direction? or any good references
> out there?
>
> There's seems to be a lot of places to set the levels: guitar, amp,
> alsamixer (capture, line in), but I feel like I've tried it all. I'd
> like to go thru my amp first, which has a line out and headphone out.
> I'm also willing to invest in some new hardware if that's what it takes.
>
> thanks.

Hello Ken,

Good guitar sound is pretty hard to get right without something
additional to what you are using. I'm not saying it can't be done, but
for myself, I wouldn't even try it.

There are two solutions I can easily give you. First, is get a decent
instrument mic, or if you want something pretty versatile, the Shure
SM-58 is a good choice. Get a cheap mixing console (such as a Yamaha
MG10/2) or a mic preamp, and plug the output into your line-in. Now
just experiment with mic placement and amp volume levels, as well as
your mixer EQ settings until you get your desired sound.

The other route is to get a direct box for your guitar, or some kind
of amp emulator. Personally, this is the route I took because I wasn't
happy with my amp. I bought a Line6 POD 2.0 from someone on eBay, and
now I can simply dial in the desire amp, speaker cab, tone and
settings, and some basic effects (delay, reverb, chorus, etc). There
are other options too; someone in another thread mentioned a similar
device from Zoom with USB support. Be careful to not buy the Zoom
505II multi-pedal as it has horrible noise issues. Anyhow, I can plug
my POD into my line-in, but because I have many devices, I went ahead
and got a mixer and use that in between.

The advantage of the POD or similar device is that you have a wide
variety of sounds available at your fingertips, whereas if you use
just one amp, you are more limited. But it depends on what you want.

If you would like some sound samples of the POD, I could record some
of the settings I use to an Ogg or MP3 file for you.