Re: [linux-audio-user] recording guitar - level problems

From: Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladt@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 16:45:30 EET

Brett McCoy escribe:
> I personally don't recommend going direct into the sound card with a
> guitar, you should at least use a pre-amp or something to boost the
> signal, since the level coming from the pickups is very low, and the
> pre-amp in the sound card can be easy to overdrive with a guitar.
> Something like the M-Audio Audio Buddy or one of the ART MP tube
> pre-amps (both are relatively inexpensive) might be good for some
> things, although a real guitar pre-amp is ideal (and expensive). You can
> also get modeling pre-amps, like the Behrenger V-Amp (only $99 from
> Musician's Friend) or the Line 6 PODxt (about $299) -- these allow you
> to model amplifiers, microphones, rooms, etc., as well as give you a
> variety of effects and tone options. These are great for recording with,
> and you're neighbors will appreciate it also. :-)

A DI box is even more inexpensive than a pre-amp and does the job. It
simply puts the signal at line level.

But I once had a JoeMeek pre-amp, don't remember which model, and it
recorded lovely both voices and guitars. Not very expensive and well
worth the money.

Cordially, Ismael

--
mí, myself et moi http://lamediahostia.blogspot.com/