[linux-audio-user] Re: recording guitar - level problems

From: Maluvia <terakuma@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 19:25:43 EET

>Could any one point me in the right direction? or any good references
>out there?
>
>There's seems to be a lot of places to set the levels: guitar, amp,
>alsamixer (capture, line in), but I feel like I've tried it all. I'd
>like to go thru my amp first, which has a line out and headphone out.
>I'm also willing to invest in some new hardware if that's what it takes.

Hi Ken,
There are lots of different ways to approach this as has been mentioned.
We've struggled with it for a long time and finally achieved the levels we needed as follows:
(The guitar has a Martin Thinline gold pickup.)

The pickup is connected through a custom-made Zaolla silverline Y-cable (we made it using an insert cable and some adapters) into *two* Stewart UDP-1A Instrument PreAmps.
This goes into a Behringer V-VerbPro Processer and from there into the hdsp9632 line-ins through the XLR analog break-out cable.
(The V-Verb allows for a lot of fine adjustment on the input, output and block levels.)
We've actually had a problem with too much signal on the bass end, but my husband seems to have gotten that under control now.
He's getting very satisfactory recording levels now.

HTH,
Maluvia