[linux-audio-user] Re: questions about useful programs

From: Carlo Capocasa <capocasa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 01:41:37 EET

If ya wanna get started fast, go for hydrogen. They have a couple of
VERY good ready-to-use hip hop drumkits to impress your buddies with fast.

The jaw-dropping effect is especially fun when you create the beats
right then and there, which is pretty easy to do with hydrogen :)

Once you've reached the limits with it, you can combine specimen with
the samples from http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/. It's a bit more work but
you get to be more creative because you are building your own drumkits,
but also more rewarding because you get to be more creative.

(don't worry about specimen being umaintained, I'm gonna pester Pete
Bessmen until he finds a successor if it's the last thing I do)

>From there it's up to you... You can continue sample based, or you can
start using synths to create your own sounds. Thats even more work,
because you're not only creating your own drumkits but your own sounds,
but even more rewarding because what you are doing is COMPLETELY
original and hence a canditate for rocketing you to superstardom.
Seriously! :)

If you synth your own sounds, I recommend you jack up TWO different
LADSPA compressors (e.g. with jack-rack) to minimal threshold, minimal
attack and release, and maximum compression ratio, and pipe whatever you
do through this combo. This way it's practically foolproof, no matter
what you do, it will sound FAT.

(Why do you think music companies can get away with selecting talent
based on who slept with whom? Right, foolproof tools! If we are to
appeal to the masses, which is a genuine goal of mine, it makes sense to
do the same)

Of course, for anything except hydrogen you will also need a sequencer.
SEQ24 is highly recommended.

Carlo