Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Reading MIDI Program Change with bash script

From: caramel <ix@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 07:12:25 EET

> Why bash/shell scripts? I need the Linux distro to be
> small, fast, and able to run on recycled hardware or a
> flash drive. It may also run headless, or with a very
> small display.

you could whip this up with pd -nogui and the shell object in a few minutes. similar feats could praobly be accomplished with SC, or ALSA MIDI bindings to the scripting language of your choice. if you REALLY want to just use the base UNIX utils, you will have to enable the OSS/virmidi stuff in ALSA config, to get devices like /dev/midi0, or use amidi --dump and parse the binary stream (not sure if sed or awk can even do this..)