Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: rosegarden without KDE?

From: fons adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 22:24:53 EET

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 12:04:39PM -0500, Rob wrote:

> I don't know whether this means the programmers did their job or
> not, but when I fire up rosegarden on my machine, it launches
> kdeinit, dcopserver, and all that other cruft if it's not
> already running.
>
> So even if you're running GNOME or IceWM or whatever, you are
> also running KDE while you're running Rosegarden, just not the
> desktop, panel, et al.

Correct. Everything KDE seems to depend on everything else
KDE, and when you use one small part of it all the rest gets
dragged along. And all that stuff starts doing hideous
things behind your back and has to be killed off manually,
followed by a general cleanup of your system. It just bad
design IMHO.

Why should K3B play ugly desktop sounds when it finishes
burning a CD ? My sound system is normally adjusted to
music with a low average level but very high dynamics, and
consequently will produce *very* loud noises with these
full level clips. They could even easily destroy the
speakers and once just failed to do so (they triggered
the built-in protection, which in all the years I've been
using those speakers never happened before). The hearing
loss was temporary.

And you can't even disable this madness except via
the KDE 'control center'. Why should I even consider
running that when I don't use KDE ?

I decided I had enough of this and have now just banned
all KDE from my system - both the desktop and the all the
apps. As to Gnome, I don't like the apps generally - some
have been dumbed down with each new version I installed.
I now just use gdm because it looks better than xdm, and
that's about it.

--
FA