Re: [linux-audio-user] loops and trackers

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 14:36:47 EET

Hans Fugal wrote:

>The KDE/Gnome bashing thread had some mention of seq24. seq24 looks like
>a really neat program. I like the interface and the simplicity and the
>lightweightness. But I'm a traditional classically trained musician and
>I have never been able to wrap my head around this loop based stuff. Has
>anyone made that transition and would be willing to share his
>experience? Is the grass greener on the other side? If so, how do you
>make the paradigm shift?

Hi Hans:

  seq24 is the first loop sequencer I've really got into. My MIDI
sequencing background is primarily built around using a track-oriented
sequencer.

  You don't have to consider a new paradigm, you'll just be doing some
of the old stuff in a new way. seq24 doesn't even really have to be used
as a looping device, you can force it to behave more like a track
sequencer if that's what you want (though I'd just use a different
sequencer in that case).

  I like being able to enter events and revise them in realtime, shaping
the phrase/rhythm/melody/chordprog as the loop proceeds. This is seq24's
main appeal for me.

Best,

dp