Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: info about demudi

From: Dana Olson <dana@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 18:19:42 EET

On 2/25/06, Hans Fugal <hans@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > It's only a matter of time before debian ships with rlimits-aware PAM.
>
> In fact the PAM maintainer is aware of it and is in the middle of
> maintenance mode on the package, so he's planning to wait to put in the
> rlimits patch until he packages a new upstream version. If you want to
> see it sooner do feel free to make your voice heard. Package maintainers
> are generally more responsive than congressmen, although they can also
> be a bit more stubborn. :)

Well, I'm not going to bug the debian maintainers, as I don't run
debian on my desktop, I run Ubuntu, which already has the patch in
PAM. If the debian maintainer is packaging a new upstream, then he
won't have to patch it, as 0.79 was the last version of PAM that
didn't have the rtprio limit in it. And, I think the latest version of
PAM is 0.99.3.

> Some demudi packages are probably only waiting for some TLC before being
> put into debian. Demudi wasn't as adherent to debian policy, in the
> spirit of being more agile and getting people what they wanted quicker.
> Some of the packages in that custom list just need things like proper
> control files and other policy basics before they can be put in
> Debian. Others will of course have license issues. It's not hard to get
> the basics of debian packaging under your belt and start contributing.
> Read the debian new maintainers guide and see what you can do.

I do already know how to package
(https://launchpad.net/people/adolson/+packages) although I only
started on Feb. 10th. What you say about some of the DeMuDi packages
is true.

Dana