[linux-audio-user] Re: Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

From: Phil Mendelsohn <phil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 17:54:46 EET

>> On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 21:40 +0100, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
>>
>> > May I ask what use a private military contractor has for
>> > audiotools?

SONAR. And more.

I've been reading just a bit as this goes past, so am not 100% sure if you
mean 'audiotools' as a package or 'audio tools' as a topic. If it's the
former, then maybe not so much.

If you allow a few "indirect" benefits (really they're not), "audio tools"
and military research are hugely connected. When you're talking about
audio as a subset of DSP, which it is, there's a lot of DSP which is
directly related to the military. RADAR and Lincoln Labs at MIT gave us a
lot, and the Office of Naval Research did as well. A lot of our chips and
convertors are tied up with developments in Synthetic Aperture Radar.

Signals and the processing of them have been intertwined with the military
since the mid to late 1800's. Drawing lines is a question of defining
distinctions. (I've pretty much given up!)

Just Sunday morning rambling...

Cheers,
Phil Mendelsohn

--
Dept. of Mathematics, 342 Machray Hall
U. of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N2