Re: [linux-audio-user] Quiet PC Components?

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 18:55:12 EET

Hallo,
aljordan@email-addr-hidden hat gesagt: // aljordan@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> I have been playing with DRC and Brutefir for room correction and
> digital crossover capabilities. The results have been positive and now
> would like to quiet down one of my PC's in order to keep it in my stereo
> system. I am looking for a particularly quiet case, CPU fan (for Athlon
> 64), and a video card that does not need a fan (hopefully NVidia based
> or something that is easy to configure in Linux). I can't afford the
> expensive fanless PC cases (heat pipe style).

Check out http://silentpcreview.com for lots of good hardware reviews
with a focus on silentness. For a gfx-card I would recommend to stay
away from NVidia and Ati, instead go for a Matrox G400/G450/G550. Dead
cheap now on *bay, stable open source drivers, zero noise, wonderful
quality, dual head, low power consumption etc. Beats the crap out of
everything, NVidia ever did, in everything but 3D-performance.

CPU fans: Try without a CPU fan, it works. You may want to go with
Scythe-coolers or the Thermalright HR-01, which is easier to install:
http://silentpcreview.com/article290-page1.html

Then you may want to add a silent 12" fan to your case's back outlet,
or maybe the power supply's fan is enough.

For cases I don't have any recommendation. Just make sure it is big
enough to be able to mount one of the big heatsinks to your CPU.
Bigger often is better here.

Ciao