Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi questions

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 17:46:11 EET

Chaz Worm wrote:
> I don't mean to start a flame or anything but I'm planning on purchasing
> a midi card to accompany my STAudio envy24 card. I'm not too sure of
> its MIDI capabilities.
> I would like to purchase a cheap midi controller keyboard and a nice
> MIDI card that will enable me a plethora of high quality sounds and
> emulations. Sequencer type stuff without the sequencer.
> Can this be done?

M-Audio midisport interfaces might be worth looking into -- they are USB
devices and are supported under ALSA (I didn't even see the STAudio card
listed on the ALSA site).

You'll need a synthesizer and/or sample engine to produce sound in
response to MIDI events coming from the keyboard. MIDI on its own does
not produce any sound.

-- Brett

--
Brett McCoy: Programmer by Day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.alhazred.com