Re: [linux-audio-user] Accessibility: Tips for making sounds for the masses?

From: Michael T D Nelson <m_nels@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 20:02:02 EET

james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb, 2006 at 12:55AM +0100, Carlo Capocasa spake thus:
>>
>>It is my goal to make music as accessible as possible, IE it's gotta be
>>valuable to your average working man (or teenager) in terms of
>>entertainment, identity, cult status, etc.
>>
>>The reaction I want from people is: "MAAAAAAN that's so cool why can't
>>the sucker produce as fast as I can listen? MORE MORE MORE!!!!"
>
> That's an interesting position. Are you looking at making music
> commercially, or do you see acceptance as one of the qualities of
> music that you'd like to be able to quantify and add as much of as you
> want?
>
> Personally, I make what I enjoy making. It still surprises me that
> what I try to do is quite different from what I listen to normally.

Some people write music in order to communicate something to others - to
express something. There has been music written for 'patriotic' reasons,
religious reasons, love songs, rabble-rousing, etc.

If a composer wants something to be understood from his work, sometimes
it may follow that he would like people to choose to listen to it.

Or maybe he wants to get paid!

Personally I feel the same as James ('Personally, I make what I enjoy
making'), *and* the same as Carlo ('The reaction I want from people is:
"MAAAAAAN that's so cool why can't the sucker produce as fast as I can
listen? MORE MORE MORE!!!!"').

Maybe I expect too much...

Cheers,
Michael