Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

From: Cesare Marilungo <cesare@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 20:55:28 EET

tim hall wrote:

> eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>
>> Very good. I applaud your choice. But, kindly remember, it is your
>> choice.
>>
>> You should have no right to decide what I do with my music or
>> software. If you
>> share my music or software without my consent you are taking away my
>> ability to
>> decide what to do with the fruits of my labors. For the puposes of this
>> discussion the fact that I do share my software and music under open
>> licenses is
>> not really relevant.
>>

>>> I have a collection of 1000+ cds, mostly bought when I still had a job.
>>>
>>> Nonetheless, I believe that sharing mp3 files on p2p networks
>>> shouldn't be illegal.
>>>

>> I tend to think that sharing music over the internet is probably
>> good for CD
>> sales but again, it's not our call to make. We didn't create the
>> content and we
>> don't have the right to decide what can be done with it. I deplore
>> what the RIAA
>> and the MPAA are doing but mostly because I think they're being
>> amazingly stupid
>> about the whole thing.
>>
> Aye.
>
> cheers,
>
> tim hall
> /|\

Maybe it is not so clear, but I stand for freedom, sorry for those who
don't.

To embrace the Net and what it really meant in these last few years is a
shift of paradigm that has been fully understood by very few people.

And artists, sometimes, are the last to join a cultural change. When
they're supposed to be the first.

At least, the open source software phenomenon is the proof that there
are more open minded talented programmers than open minded artists.

Regards,

c.

--
www.cesaremarilungo.com