Re: [linux-audio-user] debian unstable kernel - low latency? preemptive? realtime-lsm?

From: Burkhard Ritter <burkhard.ritter@email-addr-hidden-mail.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Date: Tue Feb 28 2006 - 16:44:00 EET

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:18:15AM -0500, patrick wrote:
> hi all,

Hello.

> anyone know about the unstable kernel of debian : 2.6.15-1: is it true
> that this kernel is already patched for low latency (maybe *Ingo* Molnar
> patch or *Con* Kolivas) and *preemptive kernel ?

I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. Eventually the realtime
perfomance of the default kernel might be good enough for you.

> next thing i need to know is why realtime-lsm is not working. it
> complains about a security not set in the kernel. i really don't want to
> recompile the kernel. is there a way to start jackd -R without realtime-lsm.

Some time ago I made a debian package of pam which includes a patch to
make realtime stuff working. With pam 0.80 or so the patch was merged,
but debian has still 0.79. You can get my custom package at
seite9.de/~burkhard/pam_debian_rlimits/. Just install it, edit
/etc/security/limits.conf and jackd -R should work.

> if not, i will use sudo qjackctl, but it doesn't save my preference???
> (like system tray icon or stuff like that). you know why?
>
> thanks!!!
> pat
> *

Hope that helps,