Re: [linux-audio-user] Cheap Ass Gear

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 28 2006 - 20:45:17 EET

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 18:41 +0100, Carlo Capocasa wrote:

> (For an explicit photograph of it it is necessary to piece together the
> URL

Well, duh:

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810&brandID=2

It is based on the older non-USB C01, which appears to be a typical
cheap entry-level mic:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jan03/articles/samsonc01.asp

Being a condenser mic, it is probably quite sensitive and picks up weak
sounds pretty well. However, that means it is also fragile and doesn't
take well high levels of sound pressure.
Don't drop it, don't use it for drums.

For an entry-level "cheap ass" mic, I'd rather go with Shure SM57 or
something similar. It's a dynamic mic, which means it picks up
electromagnetic interference, but it's also sturdy and withstands a lot
of abuse.

http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/sm57.asp

However, the Samson C01U has a USB connector. If you don't have a mic
input available on your gear, I can see why the C01U is appealing.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/