Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Digital Fidelity

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 01:12:21 EET

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 14:19 -0800, Maluvia wrote:

> In fact, this is a good place to mention something I have noticed for a
> long time on these lists:
> There seems to be an attitude prevalent among some of the long-time members
> here of - shall we say - 'impatience' with newcomers - especially those who
> are not of the programmer variety.
> I have seen newcomers post on these lists (I mean here all 4 of them), with
> great enthusiasm and excitement - happy to have discovered Linux Audio or
> Ardour, full of eager, albeit 'newbie', questions or problems, and have
> seen a number of them treated with irritation, sometimes bordering on open
> contempt and disdain.
> I honestly don't think you realize how you often sound to others - and
> since I am already in disfavor, I have nothing to lose by bringing it up
> now.

    I came in here as a stone cold newbie asking stupid questions and
was given friendly, courteous advice that helped me get going. I don't
see this bias that you are talking about. If anything I see the
opposite.

> But I have also come to recognize a behavior we both have - which may be
> universal - where there is an *initial* tendency to think that anything
> that sounds different sounds better, or whatever sounds louder sounds
> 'better'. (Kind of like the Pepsi challenge thing, I guess.)
> But we are well aware of this tendency, and you can get past it and train
> yourself to listen more carefully - to specific frequency bands, for
> example, or specific effect paramaters, etc. etc. and eventually get to a
> more objective headspace with your listening.
> Certainly part of the challenge of the art and science of being an audio
> engineer.

    I think you're absolutely right on this one. It's pretty much a
universal behavior and *really* difficult to overcome.

> I was interested in trying to become a more active participant in the
> community, but it is feeling rather hostile and counterproductive.

    Just because it stirs things up doesn't mean it's hostile (or
counterproductive for that matter). It's very difficult to tell
someone's feelings/attitude from an email. We've had plenty of flaming
threads on this list (I think I may have been involved in one or two
myself - nah, couldn't have been me ;-)

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice