Re: [linux-audio-user] new music

From: Dan Easley <daneasley@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 07:11:28 EET

On 2/28/06, Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Just use Audacity to do the fades.

ah - right you are - thanks!

right now i'm using a linux box for synthesis/effects/looping, and a
windows box for recording/editing/mixing. having separate machines
for those task groups suits me very fine. i'm rather proud of my
conservatism in changing audio production systems, but after three
years lurking this list, a year or so of casually experimenting with a
linux audio station, and now a month or so of solid productive use,
i've certainly realized that the windows machine needs an exorcism. :)

a year or two ago someone on this list mentioned the stylistic
limitations imposed on musicians by the software tools they use. as
though different applications, like instruments, had specific idioms.
i believe they accused ableton of having a german techno personality
(no offense to fans of ableton or german techno - though i'll stick
with can). so, dig this - the reason i'm not recording/mixing/editing
on a linux box right now is that my current projects are built on the
stylistic limitations of my windows programs; it's my impression that
the linux programs have (certainly) different, but moreso (in my
estimation) LESS limitations than what i've been using, and so music
composed with them would not fit with what i've gotten done on the
windows box thus far.

i'm struck by the irony of my reluctance to move to a different system
due to its superior quality. it is artistically self-serving, though
- it encourages me to finish off what's sitting on the windows box,
and suggests that the stuff i do after that, on a linux setup, will be
that much better.

i guess i'm having trouble kicking the monkey off my back, but i can't
say it's the cure's fault!

new tools and instruments really make me happy. a borrowed drumset
and the linuxsampler/freewheeling/jack-rack combination have kept me
high for months now.

--
dan@email-addr-hidden dan@email-addr-hidden daneasley@email-addr-hidden
http://towndowner.com http://burntpossum.com