Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Digital Fidelity

From: <res0u2uc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 23:47:19 EET

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:24:26PM -0800, Maluvia wrote:

> Your absolutely right - you're all a bunch of angels. :D
> I'm the devil in the black dress. }:>
>
> Carry on . . . . .
>
> - Maluvia

I am called to comment, with what I would hope are
understanding and compassion.

We all live under superstitions. Someone who is a brilliant
musician has the strangest misconceptions regarding
themselves and personal relationships... let us say
about love.

Someone wise in the realm of relationships and communication
is woefully ignorant about electrical matters... cannot so
much as change a lightbulb.

So whenever we encounter what we believe to be ignorance in
an area we are knowledgeable, perhaps it stings inwardly
because of all the huge universes of our own darkness that
surround the particular oasis of illumination at which
we water (to mix metaphors.)

At any rate, encountering what one believes to be emphatic
ignorance often leads to strong reactions.

On the subject of the direction of signals in cables, I
think I can offer to put the issue to rest by reminding
all parties that audio signals from a microphone or to a
loudspeaker are carried by the AC (alternating current)
component of electron movement. Thus the direction of the
electric current reverses many thousands of times each
second, more or less depending on the pitch.

One can verify this by using a sinewave generator to drive a
loudspeaker while watching the waveform on an oscilloscope.
One immediately observes the waveform going both above and
below the zero point. A change in the sign of the voltage
means that the current flows in the opposite direction.

To those of us to whom this is deeply understood to the
point of being intuitive, we are surprised to encounter
another opinion--as tho someone were arguing that the
earth is flat, or that intercourse is not a factor in
the making of babies.

Perhaps this idea is harder to grasp for a person without
an intuitive familiarity with the behavior of negative
qualities--a rather recent cultural development.

It is one thing to attempt to convince a person that they
are mistaken, another to admit one is wrong on a subject one
has been convinced for many years: the latter requires
humility, the former can tolerate any amount of arrogance.

We all grow inasmuch as we can recognize and learn from our
own experience, and from the wisdom of others.

All of which takes place more readily in an atmosphere of
mutual respect.

Thank you for your attention.

--
Joel Roth