[linux-audio-user] Re: Smack ideas. What else do people want in a drum synth?

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 15:28:34 EET

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:30:14PM +1100, Loki Davison wrote:

> I'm going to need descriptions on what the hell some of these are.
> Amsterdamned kicks? How do they sound? name sounds mean! ;-)
> Industrial i can do, as well as the phil collins style. If anyone has
> other requests, do tell.

After some research the term amsterdamned is not in active use at all
(there's a movie with taht title, though). Read an article where it was
called like that years ago, and it got stuck. Always wondered why it
wasn't rather called rotterdamned. *shrug*

Anyway, I mean techno hardcore and gabber style big, mean, hard
distorted kicks. Techniques used to get them are fuzz pedals,
overdriving a mixer channel, EQ, compressor, sampling (layering,
pitching, cutting off a bit from the start).

I tried to get there in a more direct way. Found a square wave
with fast pitch envelope (like one you can use on a sine for
a TR alike) works somewhat, but not convincing on its own.

---
Thorsten Wilms