Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [linux-audio-user] jackd and usb 1.1 audio on i386 non-functional

From: Lee A. Azzarello <lee@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 23:42:35 EET

----- Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> say: "learn C

> the user in
> repeated "why
> email, etc.
> > >
> > > We don't KNOW what's wrong beyond "not enough bandwidth".
> >
> > "Problems with jackd using your soundcard. Specifically 'Not enough
> > bandwidth'. If you are using an USB soundcard, this probably means
> that
> > you are running the soundcard with either a wrong buffer size or a
> wrong
> > amount of periods. Try running jackd with -r 3"
> >
> > We don't? I think we do know more. :)
> >

> "Or maybe you have enabled CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH. Or your kernel is
> buggy. Or your device is connected through a hub. The solution may
> depend on which host controller driver you are using..."

Crap. Those are a lot of variables. Perhaps a troubleshooting guide for USB interfaces? The alsa wiki is a total mess on this subject. I don't know enough about the issue to filter out what's true and what's luck but I would like to edit that document to be more conclusive. Here's where I'm at with my setup:

1) CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH is not configured
2) Buggy kernel? How do I determine that? the initial test was 2.6.12.2, I am installing 2.6.15.5 tonight.
3) Device is not connected through a hub
4) the host controller is usb-uhci for controller 1, 2 and 3 then ehci-hcd for a fourth
5) I have not yet tried running jackd with -r 3. I did read that periods with an odd number are deprecated but I did not understand the reason.

Anything other options I might have left out?

-lee