Re: [linux-audio-user] Audacity will not work if JACK is running.

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 09:30:19 EET

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 02:29:59PM -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> On 3 March 2006 at 16:10, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > I may be mistaken, but I think it's the other way around: portaudio-v19
> > can talk to jack. I can't think of a reason you would want to run jack
> > on top of portaudio, even if it were possible.
> I'm not certain which talks & which listens. But, jack has a
> "--enable-portaudio" configure flag.

Well ... whadyaknow, jack does have a portaudio backend. How strange.

So, I wonder if audacity and jack could share access to portaudio ...

That would be pretty crazy ... portaudio talking to oss or alsa, jack
talking to portaudio and audacity talking to portaudio. I somehow can't
imagine that would work very well, if at all ...

Anyway, I've been working a bit with audacity compiled with
portaudio-v19 support. In that worldview audacity uses portaudio and
portaudio uses jackd and it more or less works. I've had some weird
behavior and crashes on my development box, but haven't sorted out if
it's a wxwindows/wxwidgets thing or a jack/portaudio thing, or possibly
just some other weirdness specific to the messy state of that box right
now.

On our rivendell workstations we've got people testing both rivendell
and audacity via jackd and so far I haven't heard any negative reports.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Linux Audio Developer and Sysadmin
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia