[linux-audio-user] Converting Unsigned Byte Audio to 2-Channel WAV with SOX

From: Martin McCormick <martin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 16:09:10 EET

        I was once able to convert a 8K samples per second unsigned
audio file gotten by sending /dev/dsp >thefile to a 44,100 samples per
second stereo .wav file suitable for burning on to an audio CD. I
found what I believe to have been the command I used in the form of a
shell script but I get the following errors:

sox: Do not support unsigned with 16-bit data. Forcing to Signed.
sox: Invalid options specified to avg for this channel combination

        The script is:

#! /bin/sh
sox -r8000 -t ub cdda.ub -t wav -c 2 -w -r44100 output.wav resample .95 avg 1,1

        Just for laughs, I removed the avg flag and actually got a
.wav file which was the correct pitch and all, but which was full of
clicks and missing pieces of sound, obviously not usable.

        According to the sox manual, the -r8000 isn't actually
necessary since sox defaults to a 8-K sample rate.

        The only thing I can think of is that I have forgotten some
step that I put in to the script originally or that sox has tightened
up some of the syntax in the last couple of years. All I remember was
that the resulting CD worked and didn't sound any worse than the
original file gotten from /dev/dsp.

        The avg flag makes the levels correct for both channels which,
in this case, are the same.

        Thanks for any help.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer