Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Totally OT

From: Marije Baalman <nescivi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 13:55:22 EET

Hiho,

Adam Sampson wrote:

>Cesare Marilungo <cesare@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>

>>Another reason, and this is why I was sarcastic with your first
>>post, Maluvia, is that there are still people who believe that a
>>printed cd sounds better than a cd-r or a flac file downloaded from
>>the Net.
>>

>It won't sound better, but there are other advantages to buying a real
>CD (even if it's a CDR that the band's produced themselves) -- having
>a nicely-printed case with liner notes, and having a physical artefact
>that represents the music you've paid for.

there is a difference between a CD-R and a CD... not directly the sound
quality, but how long the data is preserved... CD-R's decay much faster
than printed CD's, even faster when not stored right. Of course, this
also depends on the brand of CD-R you get: some are better than others.
So in the end, it may be cheaper to get the real CD instead of a burned
copy of it... as you have to renew the second one from time to time. Of
course, if you don't like the music anymore after a few years, then
there's no problem...

sincerely,
Marije