[linux-audio-user] Re: [ANN] Shelljam 0.0.4 Overtones Edition! ;)

From: Carlo Capocasa <capocasa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 09 2006 - 23:24:18 EET

Sup Flo!

> Anyways,i almost started writing a software just like yours as i was
> inspired by SC3's MouseX and MouseY UGens. But you were quicker :) As i
> cannot test your app atm, i just leave some random ideas here which you
> maybe consider worth integrating into your app (maybe you already
> implemented some of them).

Appreciate it! :) didn't know about SC3 gotta give it a shot...

Oh... and patches are ALWAYS welcome :)

> - Read the mouse and keyboard regardless of the window focus. This
> enables twiddling with other knobs in other apps without having to
> switch focus all the time (of course twiddling other knobs will also
> generate midi events then, but often this is done in a fiddling phase
> anyways, so it doesn't hurt.

That's a good one :) I have a suspicion however that one would need to
somehow have kernel space access to the keyboard driver for this one to
work... Have a look here:

http://www.ggi-project.org/documentation/libgii/current/
index.html#libgii-libraries-and-utilities

These are the input devices libgii supports... If you can find one that
works regardless of window focus we're on :) Perhaps the linux event
interface. Right now I use input-x under X.

input-x simply locks the keyboard. Actually that works pretty darn well,
since all patchable synths (ams, Om, spiralmodular probably too) and
also amSynth support arbitrary assignment of controllers to their
parameters. The hard-coded controllers of right now are made with Zyn's
fixed controllers in mind. So you just assign the controllers to 71 for
sound timbre and 74 for sound brightness do some pretty cool controller
stuff (see demo)... I'd say it's already good for live performing :)

> - use a bunch of shortcuts to do certain stuff (again regardless of
> window focus)

Planned :)

> - read/ignore mouse/keyboard
> - grab/ungrab mouse/keyboard (if ungrabbed, but reading is on,
> the mouse/keys will be free to do other stuff while still generating midi
> events. I know this is possible as SC3's MouseX and MouseY do it

That's really nice :) Type a letter to Mom and send her the Midi :) LOL

> - toggle configurable midi setups (as to which controllers are mapped
> to the mouse axes, midi channel, etc)
> - use the scrollwheel, too

They'll be XML based assignment of any key/axis/button to any MIDI
event... Also right in the GUI and savable, in time.

Feel free to hack something up :) (code, that is)

Great you were thinking about the same thing :) I can already play one
handed with chords and two controllers on my laptop with touchpad...
Great for scratching yourself while playing.

Carlo