Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Hardware Recommendations

From: cdr <ix@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 05:25:03 EET

> required or anything. However stability seems terrible. It totally
> locks up quite often. Memtest says ram is fine. I've heard this occurs
> with this board on windows/etc too. Not sure if it's just MSI's RS480

im running a MSI RS480-based notebook, which is really unstable at 400mhz RAM speed. the issues went away when downclocking to 333.. whether this is MSI or ATIs fault, i dont realy know or care.. im quite happy with the MSI otherwise, they and ASUS are the only two companies serious about barebones notebooks, great way to not have a 256 MB module and 20mb 4200RPM hd sitting in your junkpile and bypass the 'Obligatory Windows Tax (sm)'

> Also temp/fan monitoring is a no go.

that works here, at least temp shows up in the ACPI thermal zone. but i guess if you had to disable ACPI features due to bugs, you might not get that..

i love how flashable firmwware enabled 'ship now, fix later', even for hardware :/