[linux-audio-user] Re: dj-ing hardware under Linux

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 08:51:30 EET

On 3/10/06, Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 04:17:12PM +1100, Loki Davison wrote:
> > Truthfully, the crossfader thing is a myth. About the ui you are
> > totally right though. In my now 6 years of djing i have never used a
> > crossfader for a single mix, same as nearly all djs in my genres.
> > However, nice smooth transitions are not possible without nice faders
> > or knobs.
>
> Interesting! Maybe it's a genre thing. What do you play?
> I'm not a DJ, but the hip-hop guys I've watched do things that
> look to be impossible without a crossfader.
>
> House and Trance, though, don't seem to require any really crazy fader
> moves as far as I can tell. Just rock-solid tempo matching and
> invisibly smooth transitions.

It's a genre thing. hiphop guys need a crossfader for the
cuts/scratches etc. You need smoothness for other generes. I play prog
(as in progressive house), breaks, some deep house and sometimes when
i'm annoyed techno. Mostly prog and breaks though. For prog being
really smooth is important. Stuff like Matthew dekay, hybrid, steve
lawler, nick warren, g-pal, john creamer and stephane k, etc. Big fan
of the more dirty tribal stuff. Breaks dj's are often in either camp
when it comes to scratch style mixer or rotary style mixer. As both
slow and fast transitions are needed. Trance and to some extent prog
requires a lot of key mixing i.e layering keys nicely together.

Loki