Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Marketing Free Music

From: James McDermott <jamesmichaelmcdermott@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 17:21:01 EET

> Digg for music would be cool! I don't know that Digg's source is
available, but it sure would be easily adaptable, I think. We'd still
need a big host for it though.

This is a great idea. We need the links, so that anyone who discovers
some good freemusic can easily find more; and we need the logos
(though they'll be optional of course) for the brand-recognition
factor; and we need the network effects, so that users bring in more
users and better recommendations (or however it works).

I don't know if we really need a big server - (if the
freemusic digg is to be there) wouldn't have to host the files, just
provide links to everyone's home page, or, or googlepages,
or whatever.

On the subject of mp3s v ogg, I think it'd be great to have a mixture,
because there *will*, if the initiative is even slightly successful,
be lots of clueless users and people with hardware that can't play
ogg. But there will inevitably be a strong ogg presence, and having a
proportion of oggs without corresponding mp3s will create a strong
try-ogg-out effect.

PS I have 3 fans, including girlfriend & brothers.