Re: [linux-audio-user] POLL: Marketing Free Music

From: James McDermott <jamesmichaelmcdermott@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 14:18:59 EET

> What are the key factors that we want to publicize?

Yeah that's the hard question, because different people here have
different priorities:

-freedom of software
-low (or no) price
-tipping culture
-anti-DRM
-ogg-v-mp3
-bypassing the distribution chain
-bypassing the record companies/advertising companies/singles
charts/MTV awards industry
-freedom to remix

(among others?), and everyone here has at least two points of view:

-as a consumer
-as an artist

It will be hard to integrate all of these priorities.

For me, (as a consumer) anti-DRM and (as an artist) bypassing record
companies are most important.

As for a name, I agree that "web releasing musician" is a bit
unwieldy, and "PIZZA" and "ECS-files" would require a bit too much
explanation! "netlabel" is a term that already has some currency -
could we use that or a variant?

And finally, regarding the word "Free" (which will certainly confuse
lots of consumers, as discussed in the other "Marketing Free Music"
thread): why not "Libre"? The French don't have these
free-as-in-beer/free-as-in-freedom misunderstandings.

"Netlabel Libre"