Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: POLL: Marketing Free Music

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 19:03:17 EET

On Saturday 11 March 2006 10:11, Maluvia wrote:
>>A very good, if long ;), post.
>
>I think Carlo's got me beat by a few lines. :)
>
>>As for the donation thing, the one thing that irks me about all the
>>independant bands I listen to is that I have to give my credit card
>>number out to so many different places. It'd be nice to have a
>> central place for this. OH I KNOW, that Digg-like site! We could
>> have the infrastructure in place there to allow users to register
>> their PayPal or CCs, and allow them to tip artists from a central
>> location. The artists would have to register with the site, but I
>> don't see that as a problem. The problem would be that we would need
>> someone to pay for it all and develop it, and I can't do that myself
>> right now, unfortunately. It's an idea, and it would help the
>> convenience factor for end-users.
>
>That's a really good point.
>Doubtless that is one of the disincentives to 'tipping' - it doesn't
> seem worth the trouble if someone just wants to contribute < a
> dollar, etc. for a track.
>Any infrastructure that would make this simpler and more convenient
> would help immensely.
>
>Promoting the use of 'Tags' might be a really good way to help
> index/find all this independent net music.
>
>>anyone had a look to http://www.jamendo.com ?

To see what this was all about, I went there too, read some reviews and
since I like Vangelis flavored stuff, I selected a torrent in ogg q8.
Unforch, I cannot make the torrent work as it seems to need the perl
module BitTorrent.platform. The Traceback shows:
[root@email-addr-hidden music]# Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/bittorrent-console", line 17, in ?
    from BitTorrent.platform import install_translation
ImportError: No module named BitTorrent.platform

And the cpan shell can't find it. My BitTorrent install is the recent
version 4.40, the trackerless version.

Anybody have a clue? I'd assume its a perl module just because it was
called a "module", maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? But
BitTorrent seems to be written in python, so call me confuzgulated.

We need a shell like cpan for python maybe?
The bittorrent.com site isn't responding, so I guess I'll try Azureas
next.

Azureus says NAT error for its default port, or even for ports
BitTorrent is using successfully.

Ok, but that wants different ports, udp and tcp, opened up from what
BitTorrent uses. Both udp and tcp for port 13697, but I'll be damned
if I can get iptables to accept the new rules.

Is there an iptables expert in the house? Or maybe I can get it to use
the bt hole? Nope, 6882 is still the same NAT error for Azureus.
Torrent however IS WORKING as I'm currently seeding ubuntu-5.10 at
19kb/sec up.

I guess I'm clueless... HELP!

--
Cheers, Gene