Re: [linux-audio-user] Mac? Linux PC?

From: Dan Easley <daneasley@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 12 2006 - 15:52:45 EET

On 3/12/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 14:15 -0500, Rob wrote:
> I think it will start with people who just want to use their computer as
> a live effects processor - this is still kind of a pain with Windows,
> mostly because it's not reliable enough to use on stage!

While I've played around with linux on and off since '97, and lurked
on this list for three years before setting up a linux audio
workstation, I must admit - use as a live effects processor and synth
is what's hooked me.

The jack-rack/qsynth/linuxsampler/freewheeling combination is pretty
much everything I ever wanted out of a live rack - total cost of a
refurb dell laptop, a usb audio interface, and one of those really big
behringer footpedals came to about $1100: far, far less than the total
cost of the huge bunch of pedals and rackmounted units I'd need to
duplicate functionality - indeed, I'm unaware of any hardware units or
commercial software that can do what freewheeling can.

--
daneasley@email-addr-hidden
dan@email-addr-hidden dan@email-addr-hidden