Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Mac? Linux PC?

From: Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 03:24:34 EET

Rob wrote:
> On Sun March 12 2006 19:08, cdr wrote:
>
>> you should check out Ruby/Rails. i slowly moved from PHP &
>> Perl to mod_python a few years ago, and now moving on again.
>> such a big fan of the 1.1 release that im doing some
>> standalone GUI apps in it instead of say PyQT or TCL/Tk (using
>> Ruby-GtkMozEmbed and Mongrel)
>>

> I like Rails and may use it for my next big project (having run
> into a number of walls trying to come up with my own Perl AJAX
> framework.) PHP seems to have critical mass at the moment,
> though, just as Perl had critical mass for web apps when I
> started doing them in 1996.

If you are speaking of dynamic web design (you mentioned PHP) try
looking into Seaside:
http://seaside.st/

It's power is smalltalk - either visual works or squeak
(http://squeak.org/About/)

If you are looking into programming languages, look into squeak. See the
link above for more than my brief intro here, but also the homepage for
info: http://squeak.org/

The complete system is open and at your disposal for modifying,
inspecting, learning, debugging, creating, etc.
Squeak runs on many platforms and the image is bit-identical for all
platforms (although there may be some a plugin that only runs on only
one or a few platforms - but I don't know of any off hand.)

Developers see: http://squeak.org/Features/Development/

I'd be happy to answer any questions about squeak.

brad