Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: hdsp pcmcia issues, again...Someone please explain this phenomenon?!!

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 05:08:40 EET

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 02:55 +0000, cdr wrote:
> if i read it correctly, he claimed the HDSP was also running off the
> intel8x0's clock..

I don't think intel8x0 devices have word clock.

It sounds more to me like some common factor is inducing the clicks in
both the intel8x0 and hdsp output. It would be helpful to test on a
"known good" machine as many laptops are simply unsuitable for serious
audio work (ACPI/SMM issues, etc).

> my suggests: get the card working clickfree on native ALSA, then
> native JACK (this means an app besides PD). you might need to try
> ingo's kernel-branch, play around with buffersizes and samplerates, if
> you are using "nvidia" or "fglrx" try "nv" or "radeon"

All good advice

> , renice your X server to 19,

Not good advice - this should not help and may cause problems.

> try booting with noacpi or noapic

good advice

> , and cat /proc/interrupts to see if sound is sharing an IRQ with
> something else like video..

Video is not one to worry about - it is high bandwidth, but VERY little
work should be done in the video IRQ handler. You want to avoid sharing
interrupts with disk and network.

But I don't think changing the interrupt will help at all.

Lee