Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Companies Refusing to Release/Permit Linux Drivers

From: Chris Bannister <mockingbird@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 19 2006 - 11:03:31 EET

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 12:51:53AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> AFAIK, any old dish soap that comes out of a bottle today will be fine.
> Dishwasher soap OTOH, is pretty darned caustic, which probably won't do
> the label (or the velvet & your skin for that matter) any good at all.
> Use the velvet going with the grooves, and rinse with lots of warm
> water at kitchen faucet spray pressures before the final rinse with
> distilled. Its clean when you can see rainbows in the grooves as it
> dries. Note however that I'm referring to vinyl records, not old
> shellac 78's which will absorb an amazing amount of water. Those I've
> never used more than a velvet pad and just dampened it, rinseing it out
> when it shows dirt. Back velvet, not showing the dirt all that well
> shouldn't be used. If you can find it, a light colored mohair
> frizay(spelling checker please) would be even better as its fibers will
> stand higher and straighter, reaching into the grooves even better, but
> be gentle with it too.

Thanks for the info.

> Removing as much grit from the grooves as you can, before its pounded
> into the vinyl by the passing of the diamond needle, is a very
> desirable thing. Once embedded in the groove walls, its essentially
> there forever. A well produced LP of yesteryear, on a good turntable &
> good arm & needle, can easily do 55+ db of snr, with some approaching
> 70 db, but they were rare indeed. That takes either a weathers
> turntable, or an old fairchild battleship but I doubt any of them
> survive today. Today, Techniqs is the best but its 20 db noisier than
> those were and has arm resonances you can actually see. Its a lost art
> I'm afraid.

I like the Linn Sondek but as far as I know you can't play 78's, You
could only play 45's by adding an attachment to the motor spindle.

Thanks for the insight. When I worked for Telecom, I commisioned some
broadcast circuits from the local radio station and there were a few old
broadcast magazines from the 60's and they were interesting reading, esp
the techniques that were used with what little was available at the