Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Companies Refusing to Release/Permit Linux Drivers

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 19 2006 - 18:35:22 EET

On Sunday 19 March 2006 04:03, Chris Bannister wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 12:51:53AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> AFAIK, any old dish soap that comes out of a bottle today will be
>> fine. Dishwasher soap OTOH, is pretty darned caustic, which probably
>> won't do the label (or the velvet & your skin for that matter) any
>> good at all. Use the velvet going with the grooves, and rinse with
>> lots of warm water at kitchen faucet spray pressures before the
>> final rinse with distilled. Its clean when you can see rainbows in
>> the grooves as it dries. Note however that I'm referring to vinyl
>> records, not old shellac 78's which will absorb an amazing amount of
>> water. Those I've never used more than a velvet pad and just
>> dampened it, rinseing it out when it shows dirt. Back velvet, not
>> showing the dirt all that well shouldn't be used. If you can find
>> it, a light colored mohair frizay(spelling checker please) would be
>> even better as its fibers will stand higher and straighter, reaching
>> into the grooves even better, but be gentle with it too.
>
>Thanks for the info.
>
>> Removing as much grit from the grooves as you can, before its
>> pounded into the vinyl by the passing of the diamond needle, is a
>> very desirable thing. Once embedded in the groove walls, its
>> essentially there forever. A well produced LP of yesteryear, on a
>> good turntable & good arm & needle, can easily do 55+ db of snr,
>> with some approaching 70 db, but they were rare indeed. That takes
>> either a weathers turntable, or an old fairchild battleship but I
>> doubt any of them survive today. Today, Techniqs is the best but
>> its 20 db noisier than those were and has arm resonances you can
>> actually see. Its a lost art I'm afraid.
>
>I like the Linn Sondek but as far as I know you can't play 78's, You
>could only play 45's by adding an attachment to the motor spindle.
>
>Thanks for the insight. When I worked for Telecom, I commisioned some
>broadcast circuits from the local radio station and there were a few
> old broadcast magazines from the 60's and they were interesting
> reading, esp the techniques that were used with what little was
> available at the time.

Don't knock it too loudly, the tv transmitter I help maintain yet, an
old water cooled GE TT42-TF3a combo was originally made about then.
And it still makes 'good pictures' yet today. But thats part of the
problem, frozen technology because the format has been frozen since the
last NTSC meeting that added color to the mix in the late 50's. I'm
glad its about done though since decent 4-1000 tubes that it uses 4 of,
are just about made of un-obtainium now. I instituted some tube saving
measures in how it operates when I came in the door in 1984, or the
worlds supply of them would already be used up. I'm getting about 5x
normal life on the bigger stuff on average. The final tube is now in
its 10th year of use for instance.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: