Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-user] VxPocket and hotplug - need help getting it working

From: Asbjørn Sæbø <asbjs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 22 2006 - 12:49:17 EET

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 03:31:27PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 11:41 +0000, tim hall wrote:
> > My reasoning behind this point/question is that studios and production
> > environments are likely to want to run 'stable' distros and Debian is
> > always going to ship with at least year old software, whether anyone
> > thinks it's a good idea or not. [...]

> If a production environment wants to use a 2-year old kernel they had
> better be willing to use 2-year old hardware if they need full driver
> support.

Please, do not take this as a complaint. Although I am quite annoued
not getting my sound card to work, I am grateful for the help and advice
I have received from several people here.

However, I would like to point out that in this case, the problem is not
new hardware. The vxpocket card is bought around 2000, and I have
reports of it working with alsa 1.0.3. And the laptop is from 2003.

I also think that Tim is raising a valid point. I can fully understand
that those working on ALSA have more than enough to do with current
development, and that debugging errors on older versions running on
unknown hadware may not be very feasible. But that is not of little
help for those of us less skilled and stuck with what seems like (at
least for us having them) hard problems. Some mechanism for solving
situations like this would be most helpful.

I do not know what a suitable solution might be. Paid-for support could
be an alternative. A vendor selling "certified" hardware and
combinations of hardware might be another. I know that I have spent
more than a full week trying to solve my problem now (and more before
that), and would probably be willing to pay something for qualified
help.

The fact still remains, though, that the deepest insight into alsa is
found among the developers. So, for the hardest problems, the
developers would probably still have to be involved. And there we are
again.

With kind regards
Asbjørn