Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-user] VxPocket and hotplug - need help getting it working

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 23 2006 - 17:05:17 EET

Lee Revell wrote:

> Yeah - I wasn't referring to your use of DeMuDi (which should certainly
> be recent enough) but to Tim's suggestion that developers would be
> interested in supporting stuff as old as sarge.
>
> "Release early, release often" vs. "release it when it's done" is almost
> a religious debate, so we shouldn't get into it (as you might have
> guessed I'm a fan of the former). The main issue is that developer time
> is a very limited resource and from the developer's POV once a problem
> is fixed in the latest release, it's history - the longer ago it was
> fixed the less interest they will have. So the older a distro's
> software versions the less help they will get from the developers and
> the more work required to maintain the distro.

Thanks Lee, very clearly put.

It's not that I think developers _would_ be interested in supporting
stuff as old as sarge, so much as believing that the users of such a
distro deserve some kind of support, (which should come from the distro
maintainers rather than upstream, however, there will be times when we
need to refer back to upstream). From your subsequent replies it appears
that you've taken on board the point I was really trying to make, which
is very much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to explain. :)

cheers,

tim hall